After finally assembling all of the materials I needed to get started, I sat down in my garage this morning and started building Audrey II.
For the first, smallest iteration of Audrey II, I used a small flower pot, and designed leaves that can open and close to reveal the flower inside. This is my answer to the “growing” effect.I started with paper leaves to get an idea of the size they would need to be, and to fine tune the opening and closing mechanism. For this version, I taped thread to one side of each leaf and threaded all the threads through a hole in the bottom of the pot. This gave me an idea of where the strings needed to be placed, and how well the effect would work. When I was satisfied with that, I cut out one leaf in 1/2″ poly foam. I sewed 20 lb test clear fishing line to bias tape, which was then
barged to the leaf.To pull the leaf open, the line was threaded through a drinking straw wedged between the leaf and the pot, and then threaded through the bottom of the pot.
Nest step; the flower!